An alkaline pH is synonymous with health, so we must try to balance ours so that it moves away from acidity, and thus be able to enjoy adequate wellness.
Body pH can be much more important than it may seem to us. This determines if your body is in a healthy state of alkalinity.
Everything we eat or drink affects our pH. Some foods make us more acidic, while others make us more alkaline.
In general, animal-based foods like meat and dairy are acidic, while plant-based foods like fruits and vegetables are alkaline.
Bacteria and microorganisms need an acidic pH to develop, so it is essential to avoid it.
Likewise, environmental factors also play an important role.
Cleaning products such as soap, detergent, air fresheners, glass cleaners, and various other cleaning products all contain chemicals that are toxic to the body and contribute to acidity.
So, in this article we talk about this topic, what is pH, the importance of knowing and evaluating it, as well as tips to eliminate acidic pH from the body and make it more alkaline.
You can even find out how much acid you have in your body yourself… Read on.
What is pH
For those who wonder what pH consists of, it can be said that these letters represent the hydrogen potential, which is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in the body.
- The pH scale ranges from 1 to 14, with 1 being the most acidic, 7 being the neutral and 14 being the most alkaline.
- The ideal pH amount is 7.3 to 7.45, which is slightly basic, or alkaline.
For reasons related to our own diet, especially the excessive consumption of processed foods and environments rich in chemicals, our body tends to be too acidic.
How to test pH
To see the amount of pH you have in your skin, you can do it through strips available in pharmacies.
- To do this, simply put the strip in your mouth, so that it has contact with the saliva for two or three seconds.
- After the indicated time, we must compare it with the color table provided and check our values.
- It is best to do it first thing in the morning, before eating or drinking, as food and drink can alter the pH reading of saliva.
According to this study carried out by the National University of Colombia, another way to evaluate pH is through urine and it should also be done in the morning.
- The first reading can usually be a bit more acidic because the body is cleaning up the acid while you sleep at night. Thus, it is best to do it with the second urine of the day.
Why it is important to know the pH levels
The pH reading is a great indicator of the state of health in the body, as suggested by this research by Dr. Benito Saiz Menéndez.
Some diseases and disorders that are associated with excess acidity include:
- Migraines and dizziness in the morning
- Arthritis, osteoporosis, and gout
How to remove acidic pH to make it more alkaline
There are several ways to eliminate the acidic pH to make it more alkaline, and also in a scientifically certified way, according to this study carried out by the University of Alberta (Canada).
Two of the simplest and most effective daily ways to bring your pH level to alkalinity are:
- Mix the juice of a lemon in a glass of warm water and consume it first thing in the morning.
- Add ½ teaspoon of baking soda (2 g) to a glass of water and drink.
Likewise, we can choose the following alternatives:
Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables
- Eat more plant-based foods and, if you are consuming organic products, opt only for those from grass-fed animals.
- Include barley and cayenne in your diet, as well as chlorella seaweed and spirulina.
- Eat a diet rich in nutritious and alkaline fruits and vegetables. Green juices are a quick and easy way to get all the benefits of vegetables.
Avoid sugar and processed or fried foods
- Both sugar and processed and fried products raise the acidity level of the body. Instead, opt for natural sweeteners and other cooking methods.
Drink quality water
- As much as possible, try to avoid consuming tap water, as it usually contains fluoride and is very toxic to the body.
- Instead, opt for mineral waters or fresh spring water.
Opt for ecological cleaning
- Both when it comes to cleaning the home and cleaning the body, we must avoid commercial products.
- Use natural cleaning ingredients like diluted apple cider vinegar.
When using shampoos, bath gels, toothpastes and other personal hygiene products, make sure they are ecological.
The commercials are made with chemicals that have a massive toxic load on the body and make you acidic.
So, you know that you can test your pH yourself, any day. Keep this in mind, as well as the healthy tips that we mention. Put them into practice.