Nasal congestion is a symptom that occurs when there is a respiratory infection or allergies. Its main cause is inflammation of the mucous lining of the nose, which causes a blockage in the nasal passages, making breathing difficult. Is this symptom bothering you? So, you should know the tricks that you can put into practice to decongest the nose and get relief.
It is important to clarify that the tricks you put into practice should never replace the treatment prescribed by the doctor or the recommendations made by the professional. Cheats should be considered a supplementary measure.
Although nasal congestion does not represent a serious health problem, it is uncomfortable and can make it difficult to rest at night, causing you to be more tired and without spirits during the day.
Methods to decongest the nose
These are some of the methods that can help you decongest your nose and thus obtain relief.
1. Nasal washes
You need to remove excess mucus to get relief and begin recovery. For this, the abundant consumption of liquid (water, preferably) will be of great help.
The more water you drink, the better hydrated you will be. In addition, the mucus will thin and thus will be easier to expel. You can also choose to perform nasal washes, from time to time, to avoid having to be all day from one place to another, running for tissues to blow your snot.
Although it is advisable to give priority to the formulas that you can find in pharmacies, which come in anatomical containers and are much more comfortable and safe, to perform a nasal wash you can prepare a homemade saline solution.
- 1 syringe without needle.
- 4 cups of water (1 liter).
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt (10 g).
- Boil the liter of water, add the tablespoon of salt and let it cool.
- Next, take 5 ml of the solution and apply it in each of the nostrils.
- Repeat the same process twice and do it every day.
2. Inhale steam
Mists are another of the most popular (and effective) methods of decongesting the nose. They also help to thin the mucus and thus, expel it more easily.
To prepare your own homemade steam, you just have to take a large pot, fill it with water, bring it to a boil and, once it reaches its boiling point, remove it from the heat and proceed to inhale the steam (at a safe distance and with a towel or blanket over it).
Some recommend adding eucalyptus leaves, chamomile and other aromatic herbs to the water to promote a greater sense of relief. It should be noted that there is no scientific evidence that indicates that the use of the leaves of one species or another provides more benefits or a more powerful effect. Therefore, the use of herbs is not really necessary.
Steam mist with chamomile – Procedure
- To start, add the chamomile and cook for 5 minutes.
- After this time, remove the pot from the heat and, covering your head with a towel, begin to inhale the steam it gives off (at a safe distance or you could burn yourself).
- Repeat as many times as you need during the day.
3. Apply hot water compresses
Another way to take advantage of the heat to decongest the nose is with the application of hot water compresses. Due to their calming effect, they are ideal for reducing irritation caused by excessive accumulation of mucus.
- Dip a cloth washcloth in a cup of hot water.
- Squeeze to remove excess water.
- If it has already cooled down a bit and is at a bearable temperature for your skin, place it over your nose and forehead area. Leave it there for 5-10 minutes and remove it when you feel relief.
4. Cut a fresh onion, another trick to decongest the nose
Onion is not in itself a cure or decongestant, however, by helping to keep the environment moist, which provides some relief. So, take advantage of this grandmother trick to improve yourself.
- Cut a fresh onion into small pieces.
- Place the onion on a plate and put it on the bedside table at bedtime. The onion will help keep the environment moist and therefore provide relief. A trick: the more choppy it is, the better.
What else can you do?
In addition to taking these tricks into account, it will be essential that you follow the instructions given by your doctor and that you do not abruptly suspend the treatment that has been prescribed, as this could be counterproductive.
The more you respect the recovery process, the better you will be cured and thus avoid relapses every two to three.
Finally, remember that it will always be essential that you maintain a balanced diet and good hydration to regain strength.