The artichoke is a food with small green leaves that, if we dare to consume it regularly within a balanced diet, it can help us to supplement the diet and enjoy several other benefits, including in terms of weight loss. Have you ever heard of artichoke water? Don’t worry, we will also tell you everything about it below.
The artichoke is both a healthy and tasty vegetable, which can be prepared in different ways -even as a drink- and which will allow us to lose weight easily, due to its diuretic and fat-burning properties.
In any of its presentations, the artichoke stands out for being rich in fiber and water, which not only helps to satisfy the appetite and promote intestinal transit, but also to burn fat. This is thanks to its diuretic and purifying properties.
Now, is it only capable of providing water and fiber? Not! This food also provides proteins, phosphorus, potassium, sterols and cynarin, according to experts from the Spanish Nutrition Foundation (FEN).
How can artichoke help you lose weight?
We all know the famous slimming properties of the artichoke, but we must be clear: there is no miracle product that allows us to lose weight in a short time. On the other hand, there are foods that can facilitate our progress only if we put our will, improve the rest of our life habits and maintain them in a coherent way over time.
So, is the slimming effect attributed to the artichoke real? It is, but only when it is included in a suitable weight loss strategy, in which both a good diet and a consistent exercise routine predominate.
Characteristics of this vegetable
These are the most outstanding qualities of the artichoke:
- It is a very old vegetable, with special properties that help us in many ways; for example, among its components is inulin, a carbohydrate that is slowly metabolized in the body, very suitable for diabetes.
- It is rich in fiber, which helps us lower blood glucose and control cholesterol levels, in addition to fighting constipation.
- It contains cynarin, a wonderful substance that allows us to stimulate bile secretion; thus, the digestion of fats is favored and the diuretic effect that prevents fluid retention is enhanced.
- It is less than 1% fat; It therefore has a very low caloric intake. It is about 22 calories per 100 grams.
- Its slimming effect is produced thanks to three factors: its low caloric level, its diuretic effect and its ability to process and eliminate fat.
What other benefits do artichokes provide?
Beyond the slimming function that we discussed previously, artichokes also have other advantages:
- It is a medicinal vegetable that supports liver functions.
- They stimulate digestion and the elimination of fats.
- They are a good detoxifier; they cleanse the intestines, liver and kidneys.
- They lower the level of cholesterol in the blood.
- They have diuretic and purifying properties, which is why they stand as a perfect ally for the kidneys.
- They help us defend ourselves against coronary diseases, such as arteriosclerosis.
- They are especially suitable for the liver: they cleanse it, regenerate it and help it to accumulate vitamins.
Lose weight with artichoke water
The artichoke diet consists of following a pattern in which we include artichoke water three times a day. We will apply it for 10 days a month, for at least 3 months. In this way, we will not only lose weight, but we will also detoxify the body.
During these 10 days, we will have a diet based on natural juices, fruits, vegetables and no fat, ultra-processed or industrial foods. It is also advisable to exercise at least half an hour a day. It is advisable to consult with your doctor before starting an eating plan of this type.
How to prepare artichoke water?
Truly, artichoke water is very easy to prepare. You just have to follow these steps:
- Take two medium-sized artichokes, which are very fresh, brown and healthy.
- Wash them well and cut the end of the stem; then cut them into two halves.
- In a pot, add a liter and a half of water and bring the two artichokes to a boil until they acquire a suitable color when cooked and soften.
- Once boiled, reserve the water obtained from this cooking.
Meanwhile, artichokes can be used in meals. With a little oil, salt and vinegar they make a dish that is as healthy as it is tasty. On the other hand, we will use the artichoke water to guide the diet. We will have obtained a liter and a half of water, and that is what we will have to drink throughout the day.
When to consume artichoke water?
We can start after breakfast: for example, an alternative is to prepare a cup of oatmeal, an apple and then consume a glass of artichoke water. We will also take it after the main meals; remember that it promotes digestion, is diuretic and helps process fats.
The liter and a half that we have obtained will serve us for the whole day. You can put it in the refrigerator, and when you drink it, accompany it with a little lemon juice and some mint leaves. The taste is more pleasant and the benefits are higher.
Do not stop trying and keep in mind, above all, that following a varied diet in which salads are not lacking and exercising is essential. It is enough to ride a bike or walk half an hour a day. Finally, remember that if you have any questions, it is best to consult your doctor or nutritionist.