Although there are several options on the market, there are those who are interested in making their own honey and lemon cough drops at home. And since the most prominent ingredients are usually honey and lemon, they are mainly inspired by this combination.
Below we will share a recipe that may be useful to you. But we will also tell you a little more about this common annoyance.
What is cough?
Coughing is a defense mechanism used by the body to expel what has entered the airways and that can be harmful.
- It is said to be “productive” when it is accompanied by phlegm, which has the function of clearing the respiratory system obstructed by excess mucosa.
- A cough is said to be “dry” when there is no phlegm and occurs as a result of an allergic reaction to sudden changes in the weather, air conditioning, or exposure to a specific substance that causes throat irritation.
In any case, whatever its cause and how it is classified, the truth is that coughing is quite an annoying symptom. For this reason, many people look for ways to control it so that it does not interfere with their activities.
There are a number of commercial and home remedies that can help relieve a cough. One of the best known are candies or lozenges with demulcent agents, which cause a feeling of immediate relief while reducing the presence of viruses and bacteria.
Although they can be purchased in various establishments and pharmacies, they can also be prepared at home with natural ingredients.
Why use honey and lemon to prepare candies?
Both honey and lemon have been part of the catalog of natural cough remedies for hundreds of years. Both ingredients are credited with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that contribute to relief from coughs and sore throats.
Experts from the Spanish Nutrition Foundation (FEN) indicate that:
- Lemon is a source of fiber, vitamin C, organic acids, and flavonoids.
- Honey is a food that provides, above all, kilocalories and carbohydrates.
And they clarify that honey is a “very complex biological product whose nutritional composition varies remarkably according to the flora of origin, the area, the climate. It is essentially a concentrated aqueous solution of invert sugar, which also contains a mixture of other carbohydrates, various enzymes, amino acids, organic acids, minerals, aromatic substances, pigments, waxes, etc. ”.
Honey and lemon candies recipe
If you want to make your own honey and lemon candies, we recommend that you follow the following recipe. Once you have mastered the procedure, you will be able to carry out the variants that you consider appropriate.
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of honey (200 g)
- ½ cup of water (125 ml)
- ½ of white sugar (100 g)
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger (10 g)
- To start, place the honey, lemon juice and ginger in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix everything with the help of the hand mixer while increasing the temperature.
- When foam appears on the surface, reduce the temperature and continue mixing until it reaches 150 or 155 ° C.
- Next, put a few drops of the mixture in a glass of ice water and see if they are ready.
- If it immediately gets hard, it means that it is done. Otherwise, continue stirring for a few minutes.
- Let the mixture cool a little and pour it into candy molds.
- When cool, remove the pills and sprinkle them with the sugar until they are completely covered.
- Store them in the refrigerator.
Eat candies in moderation
Since these homemade honey and lemon candies will have a high sugar content, it is recommended that you always consume them in moderation. If you overdo it, you could gain weight.
Finally, keep in mind that these candies should never replace the treatment prescribed by the doctor. If anything, they could simply be a supplement to help you get relief.
In case you don’t like candy, but want to relieve a cough and sore throat, you could prepare the classic mixture of honey and lemon juice as a syrup.