We usually associate the word “bread” with carbohydrates. Therefore, we ask ourselves, is a low-carbohydrate bread possible? The answer is yes. In fact, it is possible to find it in many food stores and supermarkets.
Next, we propose a recipe for low-carbohydrate homemade bread. Take note, because in addition to being delicious, it is quite easy to make.
Bread and carbohydrates
The main ingredient in bread, as is known, is flour. For its part, flour is the result of grinding cereals, usually wheat, although it is also common to use barley or rye. There are also flours of animal origin (bone, fish, etc.). In either case, the common denominator is starch, a complex carbohydrate.
On the other hand, cereals are rich in carbohydrates and, although much is said about them, they are an essential macronutrient. Indeed, they fulfill an energetic function, and are part of the body’s tissues.
For this reason, it is recommended that the daily intake of carbohydrates accounts for 50 or 55% of the necessary macronutrients each day.
However, on many occasions we exceed this percentage because many are the foods we eat that have a high carbohydrate index. The consequence is that excess carbohydrates are stored and accumulated as fat in the body.
In this sense, limiting carbohydrate intake is normal in weight loss diets. In addition, many people ingest them in moderation so as not to overdo it and to be able to maintain a balanced diet.
For all this, bread becomes a food to avoid for many because, as it comes from cereal flour, they tend to have a high content of carbohydrates that we ingest almost without realizing it.
Low carb bread
Be that as it may, there are alternatives to bread made from cereals and they are also tasty and nutritious. Indeed, bread can be prepared from foods other than traditional flours. Such is the case with keto breads, which are in fashion and are used, above all, by people who follow the ketogenic diet.
In any case, to get a low-carbohydrate bread, we propose some recipes in which the flour you are going to use is almond. In this way, you will not only get a bread with less carbohydrates, but also with more protein.
The first of the recipes is really easy and fast. Cooking time is only a few minutes in the microwave! The second, for its part, has a cooking time in the oven, which may give your bread more flavor and texture. In any case, enjoy!
Low carb bread recipe
- 2 eggs (180 g).
- 1 tablespoon of yeast (10 g).
- Various seeds (chia, sunflower, etc.).
- 6 tablespoons of almond flour (60 g).
- First, beat the egg well.
- Then, in the same container, add the almond flour, yeast and seeds.
- Next, distribute the dough into several microwave-safe containers. There should be a thin layer on each of them.
- Then simply pop the container into the microwave for about 2 minutes (or check your microwave power) and voila!
- A good idea is to toast it later in the toaster. It will be much tastier.
Another recipe for low carb bread
- Salt to taste).
- 3 egg whites (90 g).
- 2 tablespoons of yeast (20 g).
- 1 glass of hot water (250 ml).
- 1 cup and a half raw almonds (150 g).
- 40 grams of psyllium husk (40 g).
- First of all, if you haven’t bought the almonds already crushed, crush them very well. You should have a fine powder.
- You can then start to preheat the oven to 170ºC, both from the top and the bottom.
- Next, mix the almonds, psyllium, yeast and salt in a bowl. Mix everything very well.
- Then add the vinegar and egg whites little by little and continue mixing.
- Later, add the hot water little by little.
- When you have mixed well, cut the dough into small pieces (about six). Keep in mind that the dough will rise, so don’t make them too thick.
- Finally, put in the oven, in the lower part, and bake for about 50 minutes. At this point, to add even more flavor, you can sprinkle some seeds on top.
- Your low carb bread is ready.
We assure you that this low-carbohydrate bread is delicious, and also combines with almost everything. Feel free to add jam, butter or olive oil, it is delicious!